Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review #104 - Billy Elliot by Melvin Burgess

Billy Elliot
Set in northern England during the 1984 miner's strike, Billy Elliot tells the story of a young working class boy who chooses not to follow his widowed father's instructions to train to be a boxer. Instead, fascinated by the ballet class sharing the same building as his gym, Billy hangs up his gloves to pursue dreams of being a dancer. But even as he discovers his virtuoso gift for ballet he must hide his triumph from his father and brother -- both miners on strike struggling to keep food on the table

My Rating: 3/5

I decided to read this book because I had just watched the movie when I saw it at my local Library.

I liked how the book alternated between Billy and his father's points of view (there were other points of view sometimes but was mainly Billy and his father).

This was a good book and I am glad I read it I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I think the book was just lacking the charisma and magic that made the movie so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment