Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book Review #159 - The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)


"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.



Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.



Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.



Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.



But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.


My Rating: 5/5


This is the first Julie Kagawa book I have read, although I do have the first three books of the Iron Fey Series on my TBR shelf.


I had really high expectations for this book because it combines two of my favourite genres - vampires and dystopian.


It took me a while to like Allison and I am not sure why. She was really strongly portrayed and it wasn't that I failed to connect with her I just didn't like her at first.


My favourite male character was Kanin and I wished there had been more written about him. Hopefully in the next book.


Zeke was an okay character, I didn't really like him in this book. He was too much of a wimp. I wished he had stood up to Jeb from the start.


Until about 300 pages I would have given this book either a 3.5 or a 4 star rating because I was liking it but I wasn't loving it. Around 300 pages in I really started to enjoy it.


I really liked how Allison was able to hide the fact that she was a vampire from her human friends as I was was looking forward to when they found out.


Ultimately, the ending sealed the deal for me. It had a huge cliffhanger and I can't wait to read the next book, and I am definitely going to buy my own copy of this book.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really like Allie until she was turned. Her scenes with Kanin were definitely my favorite part and helped carry the rest of the book for me. Hopefully he will be more present in the second book!

    ReplyDelete