Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Book Review #228 - Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1-2) by Louise Rennison

Angus, Thongs And Perfect Snogging: With "It's Ok, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers!" (Confessions Of Georgia Nicolson)
This is a bind-up of the first two books, and I am going to review them separately.
 
 
Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1)There are six things very wrong with my life:

1. I have one of those under-the-skin spots that will never come to a head but lurk in a red way for the next two years.

2. It is on my nose

3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.

4. In fourteen days the summer hols will be over and then it will be back to Stalag 14 and Oberfuhrer Frau Simpson and her bunch of sadistic teachers.

5. I am very ugly
and need to go into an ugly home.

6. I went to a party dressed as a stuffed olive.
 
 
 
My Rating: 3.5/5
 
 
I went into the book not expecting much from it. It sounded alot similar to Bridget Jones's Diary, which is a book that I didn't like. The name of the book also threw me off as it sounded immature.


Whilst I did find this book immature, I think the maturity level made it as funny as it was.



I found this book a really easy book to read. It was incredibly fast paced and just a really enjoyable read.


The protagonist, Georgia was a character that I slowly connected to throughout the novel. She had a huge personality that was really the heart of the book. 




It's OK, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #2)Fourteen-year-old Georgia Nicolson is back in British author Louise Rennison's irreverent, laugh-out-loud sequel to the Michael L. Printz Honor Book Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging. Written in diary form, these truly hilarious books chronicle the often minute-by-minute, very dramatic, and significant flip-flops of a teenager's psyche.



7:18 p.m.
My eyes are all swollen up like mice eyes from crying. Even my nose is swollen. It's not small at the best of times, but now it looks like I've got three cheeks. Marvelous. Thank you, God.



9:00 p.m.

 I'll never get over this.



9:10 p.m.


Time goes very slowly when you're suicidal. What tragedy has her so distraught? Her parents have told her she's moving to New Zealand just when she's managed to snog (kiss--look it up in the glossary) the SG (Sex God, a.k.a Robbie). This is of course not the only source of drama in Georgia's eventful life. Her half Scottish wildcat, Angus, who is the size of a small Labrador, herds the poodles next door and terrorizes the neighborhood. Her little sister, Libby, who is slightly mad, stores her "pooey knickers" and her scuba-diving Barbie doll in Georgia's bed. Her mother (from whom she inherited her orangutan eyebrow gene and possibly her "gigantic basoomas") is clearly inhabiting Earth solely to make her life miserable, and even her best friend Jas is "half girl, half turnip."
Despite the fact that she's spared from going to "Kiwi-a-gogo land," things don't get much better for Georgia. She's suspended for a childish prank right before her dad returns from New Zealand, she falls in love with the SG who dumps her for being too young, and Dave, the "red-herring" boyfriend she's using to make the SG jealous calls her a "heartless whatsit." And, she continues, "the spot on my bum is probably a boil. I wonder what Buddha would do now?" Rennison's comedic timing is brilliant. Adolescent angst ("I hope I am not driven to the brink of madness by grief") vanishes less than an hour later ("Angus can fetch sticks!!!") and sometimes even sooner.


My Rating: 3/5


I did not like this book as much as the first. I think this was because I read them back to back and the constant use of slang got annoying.


I am really liking this series, they might not be amazing but they are good for a light, enjoyable read and a laugh.



I found Georgia's sister Libby really annoying and kept thinking she was alot younger than what she actually was.


I am going to take a break from this series, but fully intend to finish the other eight books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment