Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Book Review #373 - Getting Rooted in New Zealand by Jamie Baywood


17863572



Craving change and lacking logic, at 26, Jamie, a cute and quirky Californian, impulsively moves to New Zealand to avoid dating after reading that the country's population has 100,000 fewer men. In her journal, she captures a hysterically honest look at herself, her past and her new wonderfully weird world filled with curious characters and slapstick situations in unbelievably bizarre jobs. It takes a zany jaunt to the end of the Earth and a serendipitous meeting with a fellow traveller before Jamie learns what it really means to get rooted.
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
I received this book for review from the author. The author's Goodreads page can be found here.
 
 
This book was everything that I had been expecting Bridget Jones's Diary to be. This book was actually funny and had a likeable narrator.
 
 
As an Australian, I can't say that I was surprised or shocked by the  change of culture as it seemed almost identical to ours but could understand how different it would be from an American perspective.
 
 
I was actually more surprised by the American culture, especially the universal tax.
 
 
It was hard to believe how many "weirdos" the narrator seemed to meet. She was like a magnet for them. Gretchen was by far my favourite of these.


New Zealand has always been a country that I have had no interest in travelling to and after reading this book I can't say that it has changed my mind.

1 comment: