Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Review #46 - 13 to Life (13 to Life #1) by Shannon Delany

Everything about Jessie Gillmansen's life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing. Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But while showing a new guy around Junction High, she's about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than just good looks and a fascinating accent - he's a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie's small town. It seems change is the one thing Jessie can't avoid. 

My Rating: 3/5


I thought that Jessie was a great protagonist. She was likeable, intelligent, brave and strong. Although I thought some of her actions were unrealistic. 

I didn't like Amy and Sarah, they were too one-dimensional and Derek was probably only written to allow for a love triangle later in the series.

The plot was slow, but kept me entertained enough to make me keep turning the pages. 

Pietr's secret was so obvious so it didn't need to be drawn out and revealed with only about 20 pages to go, although the last 20 pages of the book were the most exciting. 

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was a perfect book for setting up the story and introducing the characters for the rest of the series. 

The second book in the series is already out and is called Secrets and Shadows. The soon to be released third book is called Bargains and Betrayals and the fourth book which will be published next year is called Destiny and Deception.


1 comment:

  1. aw, sorry it didn't work too well with ya! I'll be honest, I haven't heard much about this series, but I really don't think its for me :\ thanks for sharing your honest thoughts!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete