Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Book Review #385 - Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins

6148028

 
Sparks are igniting.
Flames are spreading.
And the Capitol wants revenge.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
 

My Rating: 4/5
 
 
This is my second time reading this book. I decided to read it again as the movie is released later this week. When I decided to read this book I thought that I wouldn't find it unputdownable this time around because I knew what was going to happen and so I gave myself 2 days to read it. I ended up finishing it in around 6 hours.
 
 
There was a lot more foreshadowing in this book in that it hints heavily of what occurs in the third book Mockingjay which I obviously didn't pick up on during the first time I read it.
 
 
Katniss is again such a strong, independent character and really brings the book alive with her amazing presence. Because Katniss is a victor that brought fame and fortune to her and her family but she doesn't act any differently.
 
 
Peeta seemed more like a lovesick puppy in this book which annoyed me at times but overall I thought that he had strengthened a lot since the first book.
 
 
With this book very little time is actually devoted to them in the arena and instead focuses on the build up to it and the rising problems the districts are causing rebelling against the capitol.
 
 
The ending is one of my favourite cliff hangers that I have come across in all books I have read and I can't wait to see it portrayed on the big screen.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment