Thursday, November 28, 2013

Book Review #390 - The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

12317877


It's 1996 and very few high school students have ever used the internet. Facebook will not be invented until several years in the future. Emma just got a computer and an America Online CD. She and her best friend Josh power it up and log on - and discover themselves on Facebook in 2011. Everybody wonders what they'll be like fifteen years in the future. Josh and Emma are about to find out.
 
 
My Rating: 3/5
 
 
This book has been on my bookshelf unread for a few years. I had been putting off reading it because the reviews I read about it were all mainly negative. Whilst I didn't think this book was perfect, I did find more positives than negatives with it.
 
 
The main negative point was the characters. They were all one dimensional. I had a hard time believing the relationships between them. Emma and Josh lacked personality to the point where they could have been the same character.
 
 
The plot is interesting and entirely unique. Although it is predictable most of the time and straightforward as there are no real plot twists I don't think this book would have worked any other way.
 
 
I thought that the two writing styles were quite similar and so they blended well together. The short styled chapters helped with this.
 
 
Being a 90's kid I really enjoyed the nostalgic 90's feel to it and the non-stop references to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment