Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Book Review #490 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

15704174





Who are you?

What have we done to each other?


These are the questions Nick Dunne finds himself asking on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they weren't made by him. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone.


So what did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?


My Rating: 5/5


This is not usually the kind of book that I would find myself reading but with the hype over it and the fact that I want to see the movie while it is still in the cinema now seemed like a better time than any to pick it up.


From the moment I started reading it I found it incredibly gripping and addictive. I am a fast reader, but I read this book insanely fast even for my standards.


This book is told from husband and wife dual perspectives. Amy goes missing and her husband Nick is the only suspect. We hear from Nick as he deals with police interviews and negative public reaction etc. With Amy's chapters we get an insight into her life and marriage leading up to her disappearance through her diary entries.


Nick and Amy were both heavily flawed characters. In fact neither of them were very likeable. They were a couple that really brought out the worst in the other.


This book is told in three parts which are hard to go into detail about each one with giving away considerable spoilers.


For the first part I couldn't work out whether Nick was guilty or innocent. The second part begins with the books main plot twist and is where the book picks up pace.


I found the ending a little underwhelming and would have liked there to have been more justice and revenge involved.


Overall I am looking forward to seeing the film adaptation and to reading Gillian Flynn's other novels as I really enjoyed her writing style.


SPOILER - The scariest part about this book is that there are real psychos like Amy around in everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment