Monday, October 10, 2016

Book Review #654 - Rebellious Daughters by Various Authors

28688496




Good daughters hold their tongues, obey their elders and let their families determine their destiny. Rebellious daughters are just the opposite. 

In Rebellious Daughters, some of Australia’s most talented female writers share intimate and touching stories of rebellion and independence as they defy the expectations of parents and society to find their place in the world.

Powerful, funny and poignant, these stories explore everything from getting caught in seedy nightclubs to lifelong family conflicts and marrying too young. Beautifully written, profoundly honest and always relatable, every story is a unique retelling that celebrates the rebellious daughter within us all.

Not every woman is a mother, grandmother, aunty or sister – but all women are daughters.



My Rating: 4/5



I received this book for review from Ventura Press.

This book is a compilation memoir pieces depicting daughters rebelling against their parents mostly because of cultural divide. 

Given that I am 5th generation Australian I found this aspect really interesting as it is something I know nothing about. 

There are 17 stories in this book, all told by authors that I had no prior knowledge of. I found them all very easy and fast to read.

I am not really that much of a non-fiction reader (although it is a genre I want to read more of) and so the fact each story was only around 15-20 pages long really helped.

I loved how diverse each story was and yet they all conveyed such a strong sense of family and the complexities that come with that. 

Reading this book also opened my eyes to how easy I have it with my family and how I have never had to rebel against them in any serious way. 

All the authors are strong, independent women who show tremendous courage to share their personal stories of forging their own way in life. 

It is also worth noting that a percentage of sales of this book goes to Women's Legal Service Victoria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment