Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Book Review #660 - A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J Maas

22839894




Feyre is a huntress.

She thinks nothing of slaughtering a wolf to capture its prey. But, like all mortals, she fears what lingers mercilessly beyond the forest. And she will learn that taking the life of a magical creature comes at a high price...

Imprisoned in an enchanted court in her enemy's kingdom, Feyre is free to roam but forbidden to escape. Her captor's body bears the scars of fighting, and his face is always masked - but his piercing stare draws her ever closer. As Feyre's feeling for Tamlin begin to burn through every warning she's been told about his kind, an ancient, wicked shadow grows.

Feyre must find a way to break a spell, or lose her heart forever.



My Rating: 4.5/5



After reading and loving Throne of Glass I had extremely high expectations for this book. 

The protagonist in this book Feyre was very reminiscent of Katniss in the way she looked after her family and just how generally strong she was. 

The world building in this book was intricate and amazingly imaginative. 

I have not really enjoyed faerie books in the past (it's probably my least favourite in the fantasy genre) and so it surprised me how much I enjoyed that aspect of it.

I loved how the history between the humans and faes was mentioned throughout and I am looking forward to this being expanded upon further into the series.

Tamlin was a complex character and I am looking forward to his development over future books. I loved how reserved and mysterious he was. 

I feel like there is a potential developing love triangle between Feyre, Tamlin and Rhysand which I am not sure how I feel about because love triangles seem to rarely work. 

Lucien was a character that was mysterious and at first I couldn't figure out if he was on Feyre's side or not. Lucien being present in a lot of scenes with Feyre and Tamlin and occasionally adding witty commentary made the tone lighter and also prevented the story from getting sappy. 

I am not completely sure what I feel about Rhysand. I feel like he wasn't developed adequately enough to formulate a real opinion about. 

The plot was based on a number of fairy tales, but builds so much onto them that it is easy to forget its a retelling. 

The ending was unexpected and left me wanting to read the sequel straight away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment