Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Book Review #665 - The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

10507293




For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



My Rating: 4/5



I had been putting off reading this book ever since it was first released because, I admit, I judged it by its cover. A girl in a fancy dress is not really my thing. 

I'm not sure what ultimately made me decide to give it a try, but I am glad I did as not only did I enjoy it, I completely devoured it. 

I loved all the unique names used throughout the book and how the surname ties in with with the occupation they are destined to have. 

When I first discovered the plot was basically The Bachelor, I seriously considered not finishing it as I absolutely despise all form of reality television. 

I loved the idea of ranking society and the fact that America went from a 5 to a 3 gave great insight into how both ends of the spectrum work. 

I loved the rivalry and camaraderie between the girls although it was a little overwhelming as most of them only existed in the background. I'm looking forward to The Elite as now there are fewer girls it will be easier for them to develop.

The only issue I had with this book was the world building. The explanation given for how Illea came to exist left me rather confused and there were numerous holes in the explanation. 

The romance in this book was a lot tamer than I thought it would be considering the plot which I loved and it enabled America and Maxon to develop a strong friendship. 

As for Aspen, I found myself hoping that he would have died in one of the rebels raids as I am not that fond of him or love triangles which I can see developing if Aspen doesn't disappear. 

I loved America's family especially May who reminded me of Primrose Everdeen and I really hope we get to see more of them in future books. 

The whole aspect with the rebels was interesting but I just wished there was more depth in this area.   

No comments:

Post a Comment