Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book Review #76 - Suite Scarlett (Scarlett #1) by Maureen Johnson

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small Art Deco hotel in the heart of New York City. 

When each of the Martins turns fifteen, they are expected to take over the care of a suite. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet and world traveler. And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn. 

Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery and romantic missteps. But in the city where anything can happen, she might be able to pull it off. 

My Rating: 4/5
This is the second book I have read by Maureen Johnson, the first being 13 Little Blue Envelopes (review here).
I found this book more enjoyable than 13 Little Blue Envelopes simply because of the characters. 
The characters in this book were the main aspect of the book that I enjoyed. I loved the way the protagonist Scarlett interacted with everyone and her relationships with each member of her family. 
I also loved the setting, seeing as it was set in my favourite city in the world, I was bound to love this book. 
The plot was unexpected. Before reading I just thought it would be about her life living in a hotel, but it was much more deeper and complex than that which was a welcomed surprise. 
I already have the next book in the series Scarlett Fever and will be starting it soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment