Monday, October 24, 2011

Book Review #79 - Scarlett Fever (Scarlett #2) by Maureen Johnson

Faced with her family's financial woes, Scarlett has taken on the job of assistant/indentured servant to a newly minted theatrical agent, professional eccentric Mrs. Amy Amberson. Scarlett ends up at the beck and call of a Broadway star (her own age!), dealing with territorial doormen, and walking a small dog with insecurity issues - all while starting her sophomore year at one of New York's most rigorous high schools. 

It doesn't help that Scarlett's brain is clouded with thoughts of Eric, her former sort-of boyfriend. She has thousands of things to say to him, if only he would call. And then there's her new lab partner, the impossible Max, who's on a quest to destroy what little mind she has left. 

Meanwhile, her older brother, Spencer, has become New York City's most controversial TV villain; her ever-reliable older sister, Lola, is sliding off the rails; her younger sister, Marlene, most worryingly, has suddenly become.....nice. 

But somehow Scarlett will prevail......right? 

My Rating: 3/5
I definitely did not like this book as much as the first book in the series Suite Scarlett. 

I felt like for a second book in the series, it never built on the first book at all. 

The Spencer storyline was good, but I felt like ALOT more could have been done with it. 

Lola, who I didn't really care for at all in the first book really grew on me in this one and I still don't really like Marlene at all. I didn't really like Scarlett that much either, she was whiny at times and immature. 

Altogether though, this is a really interesting series and I am definitely going to check out other Maureen Johnson books.

No comments:

Post a Comment