Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book Review #182 - Loathing Lola by William Kostakis

Loathing Lola

Fifteen-year-old Courtney Marlow didn't exactly think it through. She thought the offer to have her life broadcast on national television was the perfect solution to her family's financial troubles.



She was wrong.


Mackenzie Dahl, the show’s producer, promised to show Australia a real teenager. Courtney was going to be a positive role model, someone on television without a boob job and an eating disorder.


Soon, everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame via a little bit of Courtney – especially her conniving friend Katie, and her stepmother, Lola. And Courtney is just beginning to realise that ‘ordinary’ does not translate to ‘entertaining’…
 

 
My Rating: 4/5

 
 
As someone who generally dislikes reality television, I wasn't too sure if I would like this book or not.

 
Courtney was a great protagonist as she was very realistic, and very easy to connect with. I really liked her relationship with Tim, although towards the end he was barely mentioned.
 
 
Katie was a very strong personality, one who I knew I would like from the very first page. The funeral scene at the beginning was a great way to set the tone for the novel.
 
 
What really surprised me was how funny I found the book to be, as I didn't perceive it to be a comedy.
 
 
The book was well written and just lacked maturity at times, but that will come with experience. 




No comments:

Post a Comment