Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review #191 - Beautifully Broken (Spellbound #1) by Sherry Soule

Beautifully Broken (Spellbound series, #1) YA Urban Fantasy

Thirteenth daughter. Heritage witch. Demon slayer.


They say every town has its secrets, but that doesn’t even begin to describe Whispering Pines. The townsfolk are a superstitious lot and the mystical disappearance of a local teen has everyone murmuring about a centuries old witch’s curse…

Sixteen-year-old Shiloh Ravenwolf is a heritage witch from the Broussard family, a family both destined and cursed. After she takes a summer job at Ravenhurst Manor, she discovers a ghost with an agenda. That’s where she meets the new town hottie, Trent Donovan. But Trent may be the next victim on the supernatural hit list, and Shiloh is the only person with the power to save him.

Complicated much?

After receiving cryptic messages from a creepy wraith, and then frightening threats from a demon, Shiloh finally begins to understand the mysterious significance of the strange mark branded on her wrist. Now Shiloh must decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice to protect the other teenagers in town.

Unfortunately, for Shiloh, not all ghosts want help crossing over. Some want vengeance.
 
 
My Rating: 4/5


 
I would like to thank the author for kindly sending me a copy of this book for review. Her Goodreads page is here.
 
 
This book starts off with a bang and made me instantly interested in the story.
 
 
Shiloh is such a likeable, brave, strong female character one who I connected to instantly. Her family dynamics were also very interesting especially her relationship with her mother.
 
 
Shiloh's relationship with the male protagonist Trent progressed too quickly for my liking and I never felt the connection between the two of them, but I did like them on their own.
 
 
My favourite part of this book was Ravenhurst Manor. The way it is described was intense and I loved the whole gothic feel of it. I loved the history it had and the reason behind all the hauntings was intriguing.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be interesting to have a YA story without a love interest? It's as if no teenager ever is without a boyfriend or girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read and review my novel. The review is fantastic and well written.

    I hope your followers are interested in reading my YA series, too. :-D

    Happy reading,
    ~Sherry

    Check out My Books

    ReplyDelete