Friday, September 28, 2012

Book Review #192 - Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1)

"Errand requiring immediate attention. Come.

The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things.
When Brimstone called, she always came."


In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.
 
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
If I could have split this book in half, the first half would get five stars and the second half would get three stars.
 
 
The book started off really well, very fast paced and I was sucked into Karou's world instantly. I really liked how unique and independent she was.
 
 
I found Brimstone and the mysterious Elsewhere very facinating and wished they were explored deeper.
 
 
The book being set in Prague, was a very interesting aspect as I have never read a book set there before. It had a very unique feel to it.
 
 
The plot was alot to take in. It was very complicated and towards the end when it started to explain things more in depth I was a little confused at times.
 
 
The second half of the book, when Karou and Akiva fall in love was when I started to lose interest. I didn't feel any chemistry between them and I didn't like how their love became the sole focus in the story.
 
 
I am definitely going to be reading the second book in the series, but I just hope it is more like the first half of this book and not the second half.



No comments:

Post a Comment