Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review #256 - The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5) by Lemony Snicket

The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)

Dear Reader,
 
 
If you are looking for a story about cheerful youngsters spending a jolly time at boarding school, look elsewhere. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are intelligent and resourceful children, and you might expect that they would do very well at school. Don't. For the Baudelaires, school turns out to be another miserable episode in their unlucky lives.
 
 
Truth be told, within the chapters that make up this dreadful story, the children will face snapping crabs, strict punishments, dripping fungus, comprehensive exams, violin recitals, S.O.R.E., and the metric system.
 
 
It is my solemn duty to stay up all night researching and writing the history of these three hapless youngsters, but you may be more comfortable getting a good night's sleep. In that case, you should probably choose some other book.
With all due respect,
 

Lemony Snicket
 
 
My Rating: 3.5/5
 
 
This is the first book I have read for 2013. It is also my least favourite of this series so far.
 
 
The reason I didn't like this book as much as the previous ones was because there was just a lot less going on.
 
 
What I did like about this book was that there were some good characters. Mostly other than Violet, Klaus and Sunny all the other characters are evil. However, in this book there were the Quagmire triplets who look like they will also be in the next instalment.
 
 
I am going to take another break from this series, as this seems to be a series I can't take too much of at a time. I do however hope to finish them all by the end of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I remember liking this story when I first read it but I grew tired of the overall storyline by about the 10th book so I never finished the series.

    ReplyDelete