Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review #262 - Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Imaginary Girls

'Ruby said I’d never drown - not in deep ocean, not by shipwreck, not even by falling drunk into someone’s bottomless backyard pool...It sounded impossible, something no one would believe if anyone other than Ruby were the one to tell it. But Ruby was right: The body found that night wouldn’t be, couldn’t be mine.’


Chloe’s older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can’t be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby’s friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.
 
 
 
My Rating: 5/5
 
 
I really loved this book. This is the best book of the year for me so far. It was completely absorbing and I didn't want it to end.
 
 
This is the second book in a row I have read where the protagonist is named Chloe. I really liked Chloe and her relationship with her sister Ruby was one of the highlights of the book.
 
 
The settings in this book were so realistic, especially the portrayal of the reservoir which was a very spooky kind of place.
 
 
The entire book it felt like an explanation was on the next page, which is why I read it so quickly. There were times where I thought I could predict the ending, but I was always way off.
 
 
It wasn't fast paced, but it felt like it at times because I was so immersed in the story and wanting to find out what was going on.
 
 
This is definitely a love or hate book, and I can see why some people would hate it, but luckily I wasn't one of them.
 
 
I am someone who hates it when the ending doesn't have a definitive ending, but the way this book ends I probably wouldn't have been happy had it ended any other way.



2 comments:

  1. I loved that this book featured a sister-sister relationship but had some trouble connecting with the writing. Congrats on finding an awesome book already-hope you get lots more!

    ReplyDelete