Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Book Review #268 - Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught

Freaks Like Us

When Jason Milwaukee’s best friend, Sunshine, disappears from the face of the earth, the whole town, including Jason, starts searching for her. But the insistent voices in Jason’s head won’t let him get to the heart of the mystery—he’s schizophrenic, and the voices make it hard to know what is real and what is not. As the chase becomes more panicked, Jason’s meds start wearing off, and he is looking more and more guilty. But of what, exactly?

 

Both brilliantly witty and intensely honest, this poignant novel draws upon the author’s many years as an adolescent psychologist, but it’s Vaught’s powerful voice and expertly crafted mystery that will keep the pages turning.
 
 
 
My Rating: 3.5/5
 
 
I received this book for review from Bloomsbury Australia.
 
 
This was a very interesting book to read. The whole aspect of mental illness was different to anything I had previously read.
 
 
The protagonist Jason has Schizophrenia and so at times he was hard to understand especially towards the end when he stopped taking his medicine. Although, this was definitely my favourite part of the book as I felt like it accurately portrayed  what I think the mind of a Schizophrenia would be like.
 
 
Apart from Jason, I didn't think any of the other characters were developed enough. Given the importance of Sunshine, not enough is learnt about her.
 
 
The ending was a bit of a disappointment as I thought that it was building up to something much more than what eventuated.


3 comments:

  1. This sounds a little disappointing. Character development is important, but the end of a book is what makes it for me. In fact, a book can go along and just be okay, but have an ending that can make me feel something, and it will have a special place in my heart. Oh well, we can't win them all. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool cover. I like books where it deals with someone's mental problems. Anything medical is interesting to read. Too bad about the ending. At least you still liked it (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.. sounds interesting... I work with adolescents with mental health diagnosis's and have worked with many young children with schizophrenia. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete