Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Book Review #243 - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist growing up on the Spokane Indian Reservation. Determined to take his future into his own hands, Junior leaves his troubled school on the rez to attend an all-white farm town high school where the only other Indian is the school mascot. Heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is based on the author's own experiences, coupled with poignant drawings that reflect the character's art, chronicles the contemporary adolescence of one Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he thought he was destined to live.
 
 
My Rating: 5/5
 
 
Although I had heard nothing but positive things about this book, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.
 
 
This was a very enjoyable read. Once I started reading, I knew I wasn't going to be able to put it down. I ended up reading it in a few hours and in one sitting.
 
 
Junior was a very unique character. In fact, the whole book was full of unique characters. Rowdy reminded me of a character from a John Green novel.
 
 
Since I'm Australian, I don't know too much about Indian culture or life on a reservation and so I found that aspect really interesting.
 
 
Overall I thought this book blended humour with emotion. I can understand why some people think this should be banned but I also feel like everyone should get a chance to read this, because it is really good.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book that I would get a lot out of reading. I love it when an author can balance out heavier material with humor. I will have to save this one to read and review on banned books week. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete