Monday, December 24, 2012

Book Review #252 - Twists and Turns by Matthew Mitcham


People kept remarking on how they were surprised that a gold medal and fame hadn't changed me. I always responded, 'Why would I change? Being me is the easiest person to be.' I was lying. It wasn't. At the Beijing Olympic Games, he made history with an unforgettable dive, the first to ever score perfect tens from all four judges, and won gold for Australia. Grinning with pride from front pages around the world, there was no hint of the personal demons that had led this supremely talented young dynamo to quit diving less than two years before. Joyously out and proud, Matthew was a role model for his courage both in and out of the pool. Yet the crippling self-doubt and shadow of depression that had plagued him all his life forced him into premature retirement, at one point reduced to circus diving to earn money. Even after Beijing and being ranked No 1 in the world, those closest to Matthew could not guess that beneath that cheeky, fun-loving exterior he was painfully aware of how easily it could unravel. In the lead-up to the London Olympics, when injury threatened his hopes, he will have to find the strength again to balance his striving for perfectionism with the fear of his self-doubt taking hold again. Told with the honesty and courage he is admired for, Twists and Turns is an inspiring story of a true champion, in and out of the pool.
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
I wasn't expecting to like this book as much as I did, I only decided to pick this book up from the library as I have a general interest in diving.
 
 
I also wasn't expecting the amount of issues that he has encountered throughout his life. From his drug use to self-harm and depression this book had a lot more depth than I was expecting.
 
 
This book really showcased the pressure he was under to perform and more importantly the pressure he put on himself.
 
 
I found all the pictures really interesting especially the ones about the London Olympics.
 
 
 
 It was good to see that his sense of humour came through in his writing especially in the captions under the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment