Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review #248 - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca

"Last Night I Dreamt I Went To Manderley Again." So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past ther beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten...her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca...for the secrets of Manderley.
 
 
My Rating: 5/5
 
 
I read this book as part of my 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die challenge. This is by far the best book I have read so far off that list.
 
 
I really did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. I knew very little about this prior to reading which I think was the ideal way to go. There were a number of plot twists at the end that I never saw coming.
 
 
The only thing I didn't really like about this book was that you never find out the protagonists name. It didn't stop me from connecting to her or anything, I just thought it was weird to not know her name.
 
 
My favourite part of this book was the setting and of Manderley in particular. The descriptions used were vivid and I could picture it clearly. Manderley had the presence of a character.



I am not sure whether I liked Maxim or not. He was power hungry and quite arrogant at times. I thought that he took advantage of the protagonist at times.


Given that Rebecca is dead the entire novel it is amazing of how much of a presence she still has throughout.
 
 
 I didn't know this was a mystery before reading but that was a pleasant surprise as I really enjoyed that aspect.

3 comments:

  1. It's a fantastic book, isn't it? One of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an all time favourite. I think not knowing her name adds to the uniqueness of the overall book, brilliant in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read this (was probably about 14), I realized we didn't know the main character's name after about 2 chapters and was so confused. I was always bummed that we never got to know.

    ReplyDelete