Friday, May 25, 2012

Book Review #134 - The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "the Duff," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone. And eventually, through this realization, Bianca begins to see how harmful her unhealthy way of dealing with her problems has been, and finds a way to confront them head on.



My Rating: 5/5

This is not the kind of book that I would normally like, but decided to read it anyway because of all the positive reviews that I had read. Also this book has been sitting on my bookshelf since October.


This book was really easy to read and very easy to get into.

It took me a while to like Bianca, but once I did I found her really likable and interesting. I liked how she didn't whinge she just accepted herself for what she was.

Bianca's friends at first I thought were one-dimensional and flaky but they redeemed themselves completely at the conclusion.

I'm not sure whether I liked Wesley or not. He was a jerk to Bianca throughout the book and I wasn't able to see past that.

I liked how Bianca preferred to say she had feelings for Wesley rather than saying that she loved him because it made it more realistic.

I didn't believe it when I read that the author was only 17 years old when she wrote this book, it is also very good for a debut novel. Her next book Shut Out is now near the top of my wishlist.



3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book! I keep hearing such good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the humor in this book; although the language was a bit crude for me, there were a lot of funny times. And the Wesley/Bianca hookups were pretty hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice review! Here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-duff-designated-ugly-fat-friend-by.html

    Thank you very much, have a nice day! :)

    -lor

    p.s. didnt know that the author was only 17 when she wrote this book, that really nice to know.

    ReplyDelete