Friday, October 5, 2012

Book Review #197: Part 1 of 7 - The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia #6) by C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia

When Digory and Polly are tricked by Digory's peculiar Uncle Andrew into becoming part of an experiment, they set off on the adventure of a lifetime. What happens to the children when they touch Uncle Andrew's magic rings is far beyond anything even the old magician could have imagined.
 
 
 
Hurtled into the Wood between the Worlds, the children soon find that they can enter many worlds through the mysterious pools there. In one world they encounter the evil Queen Jadis, who wreaks havoc in the streets of London when she is accidentally brought back with them. When they finally manage to pull her out of London, unintentionally taking along Uncle Andrew and a coachman with his horse, they find themselves in what will come to be known as the land of Narnia.
 
 
 
My Rating: 4/5
 
 
This is the first Narnia book I have ever read. I had been putting off reading it because I had extremely high expectations for it.
 
 
I found the book really slow paced up until the point where Aslan the lion was introduced. From then on though, I was unable to put the book down.
 
 
 
The writing was old fashioned, and it did take me a while to get used to.
 

 
I found it hard to connect with the characters, as they are alot younger that what I am used to reading but I still liked them.
 

 
I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books as I know that this book was only written to clarify things about the series.

1 comment:

  1. I remember not liking this book very much the first time I read it but then really appreciating it on my second go-around. I really need to re-read all the Narnia books so thanks for reminding me about that.

    ReplyDelete