Sunday, June 3, 2012

Book Review #142 - Jessica's Guide to Dating On the Dark Side (Jessica #1) by Beth Fantaskey

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

MARRYING A VAMPIRE DEFINITELY DOESN'T FIT INTO JESSICA'S SENIOR YEAR 'GET-A-LIFE' PLAN.


Enter a bizarre new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu who claims Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth and he's her long-lost fiance. He's arrogant, officious, embarrassingly overprotective, and, well, incredibly hot.


Armed with a copy of Growing up Undead: A Teen Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica tries to imagine the transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But just when things start to heat up with Lucius, a devious cheerleader sets her sights on him.


Soon Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war - and save Lucius's soul from eternal damnation. All of which leaves her to wonder: Wouldn't life be easier if she could just fall for a nice mortal boy?



My Rating: 3/5


This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf since September and having already read the author's other book Jekel Loves Hyde I had high expectations for this one.


I had the opposite reaction to this book than I had to Jekel Loves Hyde. In Jekel Loves Hyde I loved the characters but didn't like the plot whereas in this book I loved the plot but didn't like the characters.


I failed to connect with any of the characters. Jessica, I just felt distanced from and Lucius I didn't understand any of his actions throughout the book. I also found Jessica's parents annoying. The only character I remotely liked was Jake.


Jessica's relationship with Lucius was slow paced and I just didn't feel any connection between the two characters.


I did however once again enjoy the author's writing style and am hoping I like her next book more than this one.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to read this book for a while even though I have seen mixed reviews on this book. Nice Review!

    ReplyDelete