Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Review #150 - Awaken (Awaken #1) by Katie Kacvinsky

Awaken

Maddie lives in a world where everything is done online. She's okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Suddenly, she gets a feeling that maybe there is a better way to live, a way that is different from what her society and parents have told her. Now she must learn to stand up for herself, as she and Justin struggle to make their own space.



My Rating: 4/5


This was a very interesting take on the dystopian genre. This book is set in the year 2060 which is set closer in the future as most other books in this genre.


What I liked most about this book was how realistic the dystopian world was, because you can picture our world becoming the one in the book.


I would have liked there to have been more depth with Maddie's mother. She was the main link between the world in the book and the world we live in today.


Maddie was a strong female character and was very likeable. I found Justin to be overly stereotyped.


The only thing that prevented me from rating this 5/5 was the fact that I never felt that I couldn't put the book down.

I am interested to see which way this series goes, especially with the way this one ended. The second book Middle Ground will be published in November.

1 comment:

  1. I really didn't like Justin; I thought he was as bad as Maddie's father, just opposite him in views. That was probably my biggest problem with this book.

    ReplyDelete