Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Book Review #143 - Hourglass (Hourglass #1) by Myra McEntire

Hourglass

One hour to rewrite the past . . . 


For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.


Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


My Rating: 5/5

 
I really like the cover of this book, it is definitely one of my favourite covers.


Prior to reading this book I knew absolutely nothing about it. I think had I known it was about time travel I probably would have been hesitant to read it and thus wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did.


This book had so many awesome characters. Emerson was by far my favourite. She was a very strong, fearless female protagonist. Michael, although seemed too perfect at times was also a great secondary character.


I really enjoyed the chemistry between Emerson and Michael and at times it reminded me of Rose and Dimitri from Vampire Academy.


The time travel aspect in books usually confuses me but in this book I actually understood and enjoyed that aspect.


Towards the end of the book I was not able to put it down and got really frustrated when someone would interupt me from reading.


This is the best book I have read so far in 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Wow love the cover of this book and great review, sounds like a good read. **New Follower**
    PS: check out my blog sometime if you get a chance www.bookishtimes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds like an amazing read. I loved your review!

    -Daniela@ YA book Season
    http://www.yabookseasons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the cover for this too especially because Em actually wears a black dress in the book-accuracy! Will you be checking out the sequel soon? I know a lot of people loved Kaleb's narration although it wasn't exactly to my taste.

    ReplyDelete