Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Review #152 - The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1) by Kady Cross

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)


In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one - except the thing inside her...




When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But not all Victorian girls have a darker side that makes them capable of knocking out a full-grown man with a single punch...


Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that makes Finley special - makes her one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities; Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.


Griffin’s investigating a criminal called The Machinist - the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help - and finally be a part of something.


My Rating: 4/5


It took me a while to get into the book as the beginning was slow paced and confusing. I found the further I got into the book the more I enjoyed it.


I haven't read very many Historical books nor have I read any Steampunk novels so this book was a very refreshing read and I am definitely going to read more in these genres.


It took me a while to like Finley and Griffin because of the change in the points of views throughout the book. Although by the end of the book Griffin became by favourite character. I am still undecided about Finley.


When I first read about the Jekyll and Hyde aspect I was a little hesitant to keep reading but I thought that it was incorporated into the story perfectly.


I really liked Jack Dandy. He reminded me of Bubba from the Sookie Stackhouse Series. He was probably my second favourite character.


I really liked the description of the Victorian era of England as it really felt like you were there.


I am hoping to read the sequel The Girl in the Clockwork Collar that I got from Netgalley as this book ends with a pretty big cliffhanger.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this one sounds good. It's historical and steampunk? That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought The Girl in the Clockwork Collar was even better than this one with more characterization and just a lot of fun; however it has no Jack Dandy so be prepared to miss him!

    ReplyDelete